Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Majestic Dahlias and here they come








I would miss the cool winter grandeur, had I not mentioned the bloom of the Dahlias standing upright, proudly displaying their colours since the 18th century. Named after the Swedish botanist, Anders Dahl, they have travelled from Mexico via Spain to rest of Europe and then to  the other continents. Most majestic of the composite flowers, such as daisies, asters and marigolds, they are found in a large variety of colours, sizes and forms. Although, they love the sun and are easy to grow, in our part of the world they bloom under the cool winter and early spring sunshine. I had been waiting for their blossom this year, but the past few days were cloudy and we had a sudden wintery chill with rain and I thought may be we just lost their best bloom this year. But when I went up, this is what was waiting for me. "Wow, what a colour and size display, it was, I hope was able to do some justice to them as I line some of them up here. Have a look!" The asters competing with the dhalias, tiny as they were, yet there upright and smiling in their solid colour display. The marigolds too, still a unique gold-yellow, were no less a match and holding onto the competition rock solid.









1 comment:

  1. Impressed with your blog skills!

    You should be so proud of all your skills-gardening , researching on it and the blogging it!! apamoni

    ReplyDelete